“What is the best Mac to use with mimoLive?” is a questions we get quite often. The answer is not easy to give, because it depends on what you want to do. This section contains some example configurations together with some information on what you can achieve with this configuration.
Here are some general guidelines:
- More cores are better
- Newer processor model is better
- Apple Silicon: The M1 shows great promise. Currently, Apple only offers entry level Apple Silicon Macs. They beat the entry level Intel Macs by a lot and even some of the mid-level Intel Macs.
- Dedicated GPU (AMD) is better than built-in (Intel). Apple Silicon changes this rule as there are only built-in GPUs available at this time.
- More Video RAM is better than fast GPU (although in reality the faster models also tend to have more Video RAM)
- eGPUs are supported and can be used to upgrade the graphics card if your Mac doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card or you want a faster one
- eGPUs are only beneficial if they have much more video RAM and processing power than the card built into your Mac.
- Apple Silicon Macs do not yet support eGPUs.
- mimoLive uses very little RAM, so it is not important to have a lot of RAM
Mobile vs. Desktop
- Mobile Computers are optimized for low power consumption, so you would need a bigger machine to get the same performance out of it as with a smaller desktop Mac
Post your comment on this topic.